Brainstorm a list of things that people get addicted to.
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Are you addicted to anything?
- What is the difference between a habit and an addiction?
- Do you have any harmless bad habits? Do they annoy other people?
- What are some good habits that you would like to have?
- Are you addicted to any television shows? How important is it that you watch each episode?
- How much or how often should a person drink to be considered an alcoholic?
- What is the most addictive substance in the world? What makes it addictive?
- Which addictions are safer than others? Is it okay to be addicted to something like coffee?
- Have you ever broken an addiction to something? How did you do it? How hard was it to give that thing up?
- Some people replace one addictive behavior with another. Can you think of an example?
- Is it true that giving up smoking means you will gain weight? How can this problem be solved?
- What is the difference between addictive behavior, like gambling, and consuming an addictive substance, like nicotine (from tobacco)?
- Are you a shopaholic? What part of shopping makes people want to shop often?
- What is the strangest addiction you have ever heard of?
- A few celebrities have admitted to suffering from sex addiction. What do you think about this?
- Is having an addiction embarrassing? If so, what is the most embarrassing addiction?
- Is there such a thing as an addictive personality? Do you know anyone with an addictive personality? Describe their behavior.
- Alcoholics Anonymous is a famous support group for people with drinking problems. What other forms of help can an addicted person get?
- Have you ever been to a casino? If so, did you win anything and how did it feel?
- Some people lose huge amounts of money gambling. Why can’t they quit playing?