How long have you been studying English? How old were you when you first learned some English?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Why do you study English?
- Do you enjoy speaking in a language that is not your mother tongue?
- How well do you speak English? Is it possible to learn to speak English like a native speaker does?
- What level of English would satisfy you? What learning goals do you have?
- How did you feel about English at school? How was it taught?
- Is English easier or more difficult to learn than other languages? Why do you think so?
- Do you speak any languages other than your first language and English? What do you like about those other languages?
- When it comes to English, what are your strengths and weaknesses? Choose from vocabulary, grammar, fluency, pronunciation, reading, listening, writing, and idioms. Which do you most want to improve? Why?
- Have you taken any standardized English tests such as TOEIC, TOEFL, or IELTS? Did studying for these tests help you to improve your English?
- English is widely spoken as a second language around the world. Why is this?
- Many native English speakers do not learn to speak other languages well. Should they? Why? What are the benefits of learning another language?
- Many languages have adopted English loanwords. Which words has your language borrowed from English?
- Are there any words from your native language that are commonly used by native English speakers? What are they?
- Will technology eliminate the need to learn other languages? How?
- What study tips do you have for people who want to improve their English? What is the best way to improve quickly?
- Do you watch television shows in English to help improve your English skills? How effective is this method? Can you recommend any shows to watch?
- What is your favorite word in English? What do you like about it?
- Is it important to learn slang or swearwords in English? Why or why not?
- How do you feel when you speak with a native speaker of English?
- Will another language replace English as the major global language? If so, how long will it take? Which language will be the next global language?