In teams, name as many summer sports as you can in three minutes. Compare your results.
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Which Summer Olympic Games event would you most like to see?
- Which country do you guess will win the most gold medals at the Rio 2016 Games? Why is that country good at sports?
- Would you like to watch an Olympic Games opening or closing ceremony? Why or why not?
- Are you worried about terrorism affecting these Summer Olympics?
- Which do enjoy more – the Summer or Winter Olympics? Why?
- If you could magically gain the ability to do any summer sport well, which would you choose and why?
- Are you interested in visiting Brazil? Why or why not?
- Do you think hosting the Olympics can help a country’s image? Which countries have benefited from hosting the Olympics?
- It costs a lot of money to host the Olympic Games and Brazil has a lot of people who live in poverty. Is it right that they host the Olympics?
- Does your country have any famous Olympians? What do you remember about their achievements?
- Which Olympians from other countries do you know? Why are they so famous?
- What is the spirit of the Olympics? Is it about winning? Or something else?
- The use of performance enhancing drugs by athletes is a serious issue. What do you think about it?
- Which Olympic sport is the most glamorous? Why does it receive a lot of attention?
- Which country should host the next Winter or Summer Olympics?
- Every Olympics, some new sports are added to the games (and others are dropped). What sport would you like to see added to the Summer Olympics?
- Olympic athletes sacrifice a lot to reach the highest levels of their sports. Would you encourage your children to pursue a sporting career and aim for the Olympic Games?