In groups, compete to list as many animals as you can.
ESL Conversation Questions:
- What is your favorite animal and why?
- Do you have a pet? How important is your pet to you?
- Did you have pets as a child? What does having a pet teach children?
- Which animals make the best pets?
- Are people animals? What separates humans from animals?
- Do you wonder what animals are thinking? What thoughts do they have? Do you think we will be better able to communicate with animals in the future?
- Which animal is the most dangerous? What would you do if one approached you?
- Do you like dogs? Why do people call the dog, man’s best friend?
- Do you enjoy going to the zoo? Some people consider zoos cruel environments for animals. What do you think?
- Are you a vegetarian? What makes some people give up eating meat?
- Which animal is most helpful to humans?
- Which animal would you like to be?
- Who would win in a fight between a tiger and a lion?
- What do you think about hunting animals? Would you like to try it?
- How should a person be punished if they are cruel to an animal?
- Some animals are endangered due to illegal poaching. How do you feel about this issue?
- If we can bring an extinct animal from the past back with genetic engineering, should we do it? Which animals should we bring back?
- Have you heard of the law of the jungle? How do you feel about the idea that in nature, animals kill or be killed?
- What do you think about the idea of evolution? If animals are still evolving, what will they be like in the future?
- What do people mean when they say ‘a leopard doesn’t change its spots‘? Do you agree?