Brainstorm a list of things that people get addicted to.
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Are you addicted to anything?
- What is the difference between a habit and an addiction?
- Do you have any harmless bad habits? Do they annoy other people?
- What are some good habits that you would like to have?
- Are you addicted to any television shows? How important is it that you watch each episode?
- How much or how often should a person drink to be considered an alcoholic?
- What is the most addictive substance in the world? What makes it addictive?
- Which addictions are safer than others? Is it okay to be addicted to something like coffee?
- Have you ever broken an addiction to something? How did you do it? How hard was it to give that thing up?
- Some people replace one addictive behavior with another. Can you think of an example?
- Is it true that giving up smoking means you will gain weight? How can this problem be solved?
- What is the difference between addictive behavior, like gambling, and consuming an addictive substance, like nicotine (from tobacco)?
- Are you a shopaholic? What part of shopping makes people want to shop often?
- What is the strangest addiction you have ever heard of?
- A few celebrities have admitted to suffering from sex addiction. What do you think about this?
- Is having an addiction embarrassing? If so, what is the most embarrassing addiction?
- Is there such a thing as an addictive personality? Do you know anyone with an addictive personality? Describe their behavior.
- Alcoholics Anonymous is a famous support group for people with drinking problems. What other forms of help can an addicted person get?
- Have you ever been to a casino? If so, did you win anything and how did it feel?
- Some people lose huge amounts of money gambling. Why can’t they quit playing?
How do you feel today? How much energy do you have these days?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Are you a healthy person? How often do you get sick?
- What are the best ways to avoid getting sick?
- Do you take vitamins? Do they really help people, or do they just have a placebo effect?
- How often do you get a medical check-up? How often should people get a check-up?
- Do you ever wear a face mask in public? Do you wear it to protect yourself or others?
- What healthy habits do you have (such as washing your hands before eating)?
- Have you ever broken a bone? What happened?
- Kids get injured often and seem to recover quickly. How well do you recover from bumps and bruises these days?
- Do you trust doctors? Completely? Why or why not?
- Who is the healthiest person you know? What do they do to stay healthy?
- What is more important to take care of: mental health or physical health?
- People sometimes say that ‘laughter is the best medicine’. What do you think this means? Do you agree?
- In your country, which traditional remedies or herbal medicines are popular?
- Have you tried acupuncture? If so, did it help you? If not, would you like to try it?
- Have you ever been faced with an emergency medical situation? What did you do?
- Do you feel squeamish when you see blood?
- Some people oppose vaccinations because they believe they are risky. Do you believe in being vaccinated?
- How do you feel about surgery? Would you consider having surgery that isn’t completely necessary, like plastic surgery?
- What foods are good for your health? How important is a person’s diet to keeping them healthy?
- Lifespans are getting longer. How long do you expect your generation will live on average?
- What are the differences between traditional Eastern and Western medicine?
- How do companies in your country treat sick workers? Do employees receive paid leave to help with recovery from sickness?