Are you a romantic person?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- What is the meaning of Valentine’s Day in your country? What happens on this day?
- Is Valentine’s Day more for men or women? Explain your answer.
- Do you have any special plans for Valentine’s Day? What will you do?
- Which traditional gift would you rather receive: chocolates, flowers, or a card with a personal message?
- Is Valentine’s Day only about romantic love? Or is it a good occasion to celebrate friendship as well?
- Do you like romantic movies? What is your favorite romantic movie?
- Have you ever received a Valentine’s Day card or gift from a secret admirer? How did it make you feel?
- Is Valentine’s Day the most romantic day of the year? If not, what day is?
- What is the most romantic thing you have done for another person?
- Valentine’s Day is promoted by companies whose only interest is making money. Discuss whether you agree or disagree.
- Describe your perfect Valentine’s Day date.
- How should a single person spend Valentine’s Day? What do you suggest?
- Do you enjoy playing cupid? Do you try to introduce people in the hope they will make a love match?
- What color is love?
- Some restaurants charge higher prices on Valentine’s Day. Are you willing to pay more to dine out on this day?
- How do you deal with unwanted romantic attention?
- Is a romantic gesture more powerful on Valentine’s Day or on another day of the year?
What are the most important days of the year in your culture? Why are they significant? What happens on those days?
- Will Santa bring you a Christmas present this year? What would you like him to bring you?
- Have you been bad or good this year? Do you deserve Christmas presents?
- What do people usually do on Christmas day in your country? Who do they spend the day with?
- Is Christmas a religious day for you? If so, what kind of religious activity do you take part in? If not, what does Christmas mean to you?
- If you are not a Christian, do you celebrate any other special days around the end of the year? Explain what you do on those days.
- Do you usually give Christmas presents? Who do you give them to?
- How important was Christmas to you when you were a child? What were your Christmas mornings like? Did Santa Claus leave presents for you?
- What kind of meal does your family eat at Christmas time?
- Has Christmas become too commercialized?
- Do you like Christmas decorations? How do you feel about the colors red and green together?
- How early is too early to put Christmas decorations up? When is it appropriate to take decorations down?
- Do you put up a Christmas tree at your house? Is it real or fake? Which is better?
- Do you enjoy Christmas songs? Which is your favorite?
- Are there any special foods or drinks you enjoy at Christmas time that are unique to the Christmas period?
- Do you enjoy Christmas movies? What’s your favorite Christmas themed movie?
- Which do you enjoy more, giving or receiving gifts?
- What kind of weather do you prefer to have at Christmas time? Is a white Christmas typical for you?
- What is the Spirit of Christmas?
Brainstorm a list of different types of monsters and scary creatures.
- Is Halloween an important day in your country? What does it mean to you?
- Did you go trick or treating as a child? What do you think about this practice?
- Would you let your children go trick or treating? Is the world a more dangerous place these days?
- Have you ever been to a Halloween party or some other kind of costume party? What did you dress as? What happened at the party?
- Do you enjoy dressing up in costumes? Why or why not?
- These days, people don’t just wear scary costumes. They wear costumes based on many things including popular news stories and politicians. Is this against the traditional scary spirit of Halloween?
- These days, many Halloween costumes for adults seem to be overly revealing. Why are these kinds of costumes popular?
- If kids come to your house trick or treating on Halloween and you choose treat, what delicious treats will you give them?
- What is your favorite kind of candy or treat? What kind of treat would you be disappointed to receive?
- If some kids come to your house trick or treating on Halloween and you choose trick, what do you think they might do to you or your house?
- Do you enjoy practical jokes? Have you ever played a practical joke on someone? What did you do?
- Have you been the victim of a practical joke? What happened to you? How did you feel?
- What is your all-time favorite scary monster or creature of the night?
- Do you like horror movies? Why or why not? If so, what’s your favorite horror movie?
- Some people decorate their house to celebrate Halloween. Do you decorate your home to celebrate any special days?
- Have you ever carved a jack-o-lantern? How difficult or easy was it to carve?
- The celebration of Halloween has origins in remembering the dead and confronting the concept of death with humor. How do you feel about death?
- One tradition on Halloween is the telling of scary stories. Do you know any scary stories?