Talk about the last thing you bought. Alternatively, play twenty questions and try to guess what each person most recently bought.
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Do you like shopping? For what kinds of things?
- Have you ever spent too much? What did you buy? How did you feel afterwards?
- How long do you usually shop for? Do you try to get your shopping done as fast as possible?
- Do you shop online? What kinds of things do you buy online? What would you rather buy in person?
- What is the most expensive thing you have ever bought? Was it worth what you paid for it?
- Do you prefer to shop alone or with other people? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
- Who does the grocery shopping in your household? How often do they do it?
- Are you a bargain hunter? Do you get excited about sales and discounts? When are the best sales in your country?
- Which do you prefer? Buying things for yourself or for other people?
- Do you collect points or stamps at any stores? Which loyalty programs are worthwhile?
- In the United States, the Friday after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday and is famous for big sales and aggressive behavior by shoppers. Have you ever had any problems with other shoppers?
- Shoplifting is when someone takes something from a shop without paying. How common is this crime in your country? How do shops try to prevent shoplifting?
- Have you ever worked in a shop? What was the store selling? Does that kind of job suit you?
- If you were to open your own shop, what kinds of things would you like to sell?
- Have you ever returned something to the shop you bought it from? Why did you return it? Did you get a refund?
- Do you care where products are made? Do you prefer to buy things which are made in your own country? Why or why not?
- Some countries have late-night or all-night shopping. What time of day do you like to shop?
- Have you been shopping abroad? Which are the best cities for shopping?