Which website do you visit most often? What do you do there?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- How many hours per day do you spend online? Is it too many?
- Do you go online more on your phone or more on a computer? What are the benefits of each?
- What is your preferred search engine? Why is it the best?
- How often do you search the internet for an answer to a trivial question?
- There is a lot of information on the internet. How do you know which information is accurate?
- Do you worry about online security? What are the risks of being online?
- How old should a child be before they are allowed to use the internet?
- Do you know anyone who never uses the internet? Why don’t they use it?
- Do you have any experience running a blog or building a website? Talk about it.
- By using the internet, do you feel connected? Connected to what or whom?
- Is your internet fast enough? How do you feel when the internet is working slowly?
- When was the last time you had no internet access? What were you doing?
- Do you do online shopping? What do you like to buy online and what do you prefer to buy in a store?
- Which Social Network Services do you use these days? Why do you prefer those over other SNS?
- What is your favorite smartphone app? What do you do with it?
- Have you played online games? What did you play?
- Have you tried online dating? What is good and bad about online dating?
- Have you ever met someone online and then met them in person? Were they like you expected them to be?
- Many services are online these days. Which parts of our lives will never be online?
- Are you interested in online business? Have you thought about starting your own? In which area?
Warm-up Task: Take turns suggesting the most important technological advance of all time (e.g. the automobile, the steam engine, the electrical grid) and give a reason why it’s important (e.g. the electrical grid allows people to have all kinds of electrical devices in their homes and lighting at any time of day).
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Do you get excited by new technology? What kinds of technology interest you?
- Is technology developing faster than it used to? Are you worried about being left behind?
- When you get a new product, do you read the instruction manual? Or do you just figure it out?
- How much time do you spend online each week? Is it too much time, or a reasonable amount?
- What are some of your favorite websites? What can you do on them?
- Advances in medical technology mean people are living longer. What are some of the downsides of this? How old do you hope to live?
- How do you feel if you forget your mobile phone and leave it somewhere?
- Which electronics brands do you trust most? Are you loyal to one brand?
- Are you an early adopter? Do you like to have cutting edge technology? Are there any disadvantages to buying the latest product?
- Some people dislike or fear technology. Do you know anyone like this?
- Do you read e-books? What are their advantages and disadvantages when compared with paper books?
- Is there an electronic product you want these days? What is it? How will it make your life better?
- Do you play computer games? What do you say to people who believe they are a waste of time?
- What crazy future technology are you looking forward to? For example, flying cars or personal robots.
- Which social networking services (SNS) do you use? What do you like or dislike about them?
- How do you feel about dating websites or apps? Would you use one?
- Some people prefer to live with less technology in their lives. Can you understand the desire to live a simpler life?
- Many science fiction movies present a dark vision of the future. Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the future of humanity?