What was the first job you had? How old were you? What did you have to do?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Are you a hard worker? What motivates you to work?
- When you were a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?
- If you could do one job, just for one day to learn what it is like, what would you do?
- What qualities should a good boss have?
- How many vacation days do workers in your country usually get per year? Is it enough?
- How important is it to get along with co-workers? Is it a good idea to socialize with them outside work?
- What do you think about office romances? Is it unwise to get romantically involved with a co-worker?
- Are you an ambitious person? What career goals do you have?
- What is the usual retirement age in your country? Should it be changed?
- Which professions are very well-paid these days? Why are those workers highly valued?
- Are there any jobs you think are not paid enough? Why are those workers undervalued?
- Do you know anyone that was fired from a job? What were the circumstances?
- Do you know any workaholics? What makes them work so much?
- Some companies use a flexible time system and employees can work hours that suit their lifestyles. What do you think about this?
- Are there jobs that men do better than women do? How about vice versa?
- Some jobs, like president of a country, are powerful, but come with a lot of responsibility. How do you handle responsibility? Do you want more?
- If every job paid the same amount of money, which job would you prefer to do?
For people who are not working:
- Are you looking for work these days? What is the job market like?
- What are the best and worst things about not working?
- If you are looking for work, where is the best place to look these days?
For people who work:
- What is the atmosphere like at your workplace?
- If you went to university, is your job related to the subjects you studied? If not, what was the point of university?
- What is the dress code at your company? How strict is it?
- Are you expected to work overtime at your job? How often does this happen?