Names Conversation Questions
What’s your full name?
- Do you like your name? Have you ever considered changing it?
- How do people address you? Do they use your name, a title, or some other combination of words?
- Do you have a nickname? How did you get it? Who uses it?
- Is the meaning of a name important in your culture? Does your name mean anything?
- What are some common names for pets? Can people have the same names? Why or why not?
- How do people in your country choose baby names?
- In both 2021 and 2022, in the United States, the most popular baby name for boys was Liam, and for girls it was Olivia. How about in your country?
- Have you thought about the names that you might give to your children (if you have them)?
- Does a person’s name influence how others think of them? Will the right name help you to have a good life?
- In some countries, it is traditional for women to change their name when they get married. What do you think about this?
- Which famous person has a cool name? Why do you like it?
- What are some names from other cultures that you hear often?
- Kids sometimes tease other kids about their name. Can you recall any examples from your childhood?
- Do you remember other people’s names easily? If you forget a person’s name, what do you do?
- What’s the most common name among your friends? How many people do you know with that name?
- In your opinion, is it better to have a common name or an uncommon one?
- What were common names in your grandparents’ generation? Do they sound old-fashioned now or are they still popular?
- Is there a product or company name that you like? Do you think the name helps their business?