In groups, compete to list as many animals as you can.
ESL Conversation Questions:
- What is your favorite animal and why?
- Are people animals? What separates humans from animals?
- Which animal is the most dangerous?
- What should you do if a bear approaches you?
- Do you like dogs? Why do people call the dog, man’s best friend?
- Do you enjoy going to the zoo? Some people consider zoos to be cruel environments for animals. What do you think?
- Where is the best place to see animals in your country? In the world?
- Are you a vegetarian? What makes some people give up eating meat?
- Which animal is most helpful to humans?
- If you could be any animal (besides human), which animal would you like to be?
- Who would win in a fight between a tiger and a lion?
- What do you think about hunting animals? Would you like to try it?
- Books like Watership Down and Animal Farm give animals human characteristics like human thoughts or language. Is this how you think animals really are? Or are those really just stories about people?
- Some animals are endangered due to illegal poaching. How do you feel about this issue?
- If we can bring an extinct animal from the past back with genetic engineering, should we do it? Which animals should we bring back?
- Have you heard of the law of the jungle? How do you feel about the idea that in nature, animals kill or be killed?
- What do you think about the theory of evolution? If animals are still evolving, what will they be like in the future?
- What do people mean when they say ‘a leopard doesn’t change its spots‘? Do you agree?