What occasion is the most festive in your culture? When do people party and celebrate most?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Was 2018 a good year for you? What were some of your highlights or low points?
- What good or bad events happened in the world in 2018?
- Did you achieve any goals in 2018? Did you keep resolutions that you made at the beginning of the year?
- When does the new year start for you? From January 1st, or from a different day?
- How do people in your culture celebrate the New Year? Is it usually a family celebration or more of a party with friends?
- What is usually on television on New Year’s Eve? On New Year’s Day? Do you enjoy watching TV around this time of year?
- In your culture, do people give cards or gifts at the New Year? If so, to whom do you send cards or give gifts?
- Do you associate any special foods with the end of the year? What are they?
- What are your plans for New Year’s Eve? Who will you spend the time with?
- At the end of the year, are there public holidays in your country? How much time do people usually get off from work?
- What are your plans for 2019?
- Will you make any New Year’s resolutions for 2019? What do you intend on doing differently in the next year?
- How do you make your New Year’s resolutions? Do you write them down? Do you tell other people about your plans?
- At the beginning of 2019, what is the biggest challenge facing humanity? Do you think 2019 will bring us closer to solving this problem?
- Do you have a good feeling about 2019? Are you optimistic or pessimistic?
- Which year has been the best of your life so far? What made it so good?
- The year 2019 coincides with the Year of the Pig in the Chinese Zodiac. What does this mean to you?
- Can you make any predictions about 2019? What significant events will happen? What products or companies will be successful? What trends or fashions will be popular?