In groups, compete to name as many countries as you can within three minutes.
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Have you traveled abroad? Where have you been? If you haven’t been overseas, which country would you most like to visit?
- Where did you go on your last trip? Talk about where you went and what you did.
- What is the best place for a vacation in your country? Why is it good?
- What is the longest time you have been away from home? Did you feel homesick?
- How long should a vacation be? How long does it take you to truly unwind?
- What forms of transportation do you prefer to use when you travel?
- How do you choose where to go? Are you inspired by other people’s travel stories? Or photos? Or advertising?
- What’s more important to you when you travel – comfort and relaxation, or stimulating new experiences?
- Do you like to try local foods when you go somewhere? Have you ever had something really delicious? Talk about it.
- Things can go wrong when you travel. Have you had any bad travel experiences?
- What do you take with you when you travel? Do you try to pack light?
- Which places in the world do you think are too dangerous to visit? Why are they dangerous?
- What is the best age to travel? Can children appreciate the experience?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of traveling alone?
- What kind of accommodation do you choose to stay in when you go somewhere? Would you consider using a web-based community service such as Couchsurfing, through which you stay in someone’s house?
- Do you like to talk to the local people when you travel? Why or why not?
- Would you like to go to a big international event, such as the Olympics or an international film festival? What would be good or bad about attending such an event?
- Choose between these holidays and explain your choice:
- A tour of historic sites in Europe
- A relaxing stay at a beach resort in Southeast Asia
- Going on safari in Africa