Used To & Would Past Conversation Questions
Talk about the distant past by using used to and would in your answers.
Use either expression for repeated, habit-like actions in the past.
I used to/would watch MTV every day after school.
Use only used to for extended situations in the past.
My father used to work at a nuclear power plant.
- Think of your childhood. What did you do after school most days?
- What toys were very popular when you were young, and what did you play with?
- During high school, what did you do when you got together with your friends?
- How did you get money when you were young? Did you receive an allowance, or did you earn money somehow?
- Is there a food that your opinion has changed on? Do you eat something now that you didn’t like before?
- When you were young, where did your extended family get together? What did you do together?
- Before mobile phones were common, how did people locate each other when they were not at home?
- Did you have a pet in the past?
- Can you think of clothing that used to be popular? How does that style look now?
- Did you smoke, bite your fingernails, or suck your thumb in the past? Did you have some other bad habit that you were able to quit?
- What are some electronic devices you have owned in the past? Which companies made them?
- Has your knowledge or opinion changed over time? What did you think before? What changed your mind?
- Did someone you know change their job or retire? What did they use to do?
- Have you ever owned a car? Or a bicycle?
- Name a singer or band that you have grown to like or dislike over time?
- What did people do before they could look up information easily on the internet?