World Cup Conversation Questions
What's your favorite sport to play and your favorite sport to watch? Discuss with your partner or group.
- Where is the next FIFA World Cup? Will your country be there?
- Do you call it soccer or football? Do you care which name is used?
- Have you played soccer? How good were you? How good are you now?
- Which country has the best soccer players? Why do some countries produce so many great players?
- Soccer, or football, is the most popular sport in the world. Why is it so popular?
- Some people complain that soccer games end in a draw too often. Can a drawn game be fun to watch?
- Are you interested in visiting the host country of the World Cup? What fun things would you do there? What might be interesting, apart from soccer?
- Soccer players sometimes act injured to get a penalty call from the referees. What do you think about this behavior?
- Which country do you think will win the next World Cup? What makes you think so?
- Tickets to World Cup games are expensive. What is the highest amount you would be willing to pay for a ticket to the World Cup Final? Why is it worth this amount to see the game in person?
- Who is the greatest soccer player of all time?
- In some countries, players and coaches who do poorly receive criticism or punishment from the fans or the government. What's your opinion of this?
- Why is soccer sometimes called 'the beautiful game'?
- In 2014, goal line technology was used for the first time in a FIFA World Cup. Is it good to rely on technology to know whether the ball has passed the goal line? Or is it better to rely on human judgement?
- World Cup preparations cost a lot of money, yet many people still live in poverty. Do you think this is a problem? Is there a better way to use the money?
- The World Cup Final is always among the most watched television events in the world. Does this kind of mass participation make you feel a sense of a global community?
- How do you behave when you or your team loses? Are you a sore loser or a good sport?
- If your own team is not playing in a game, how do you choose who to support? Do you support the underdog? Or do you like to back the expected winner?