How many American presidents can you name? List as many as you can.
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Have you been following the American presidential election? What has happened lately?
- What do you know about the major party candidates, Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump?
- How much do you know about third-party candidates, such as Jill Stein and Gary Johnson?
- Where do you get your information about the American election from? What is your preferred news source? What do you like about it?
- How important is the American presidential election to other countries around the world? How can the American President affect other countries?
- What do you think about democracy? Is it a good system?
- Have you voted for a political leader or party? How important is voting to you?
- The American presidential election seems to take a long time. How long does it take to choose a leader in your country?
- Politicians in the USA have to raise a lot of money to run for office. Is this a problem?
- One of the big issues in the current American election is immigration. Why do people disagree about immigration policy?
- Another issue in the American election is trade. Many voters are against free trade agreements. What do you think about free trade agreements such as NAFTA or TPP?
- Hillary Clinton is the first female nominee of a major party for president. Why has there not been a female president in the United States before?
- Has your country had a female leader? Were they any different from a male leader? How?
- At times, the candidates’ personal lives have been talked about during this election. Does the public need to know about the candidates’ personal lives? Why or why not?
- During this election some candidates have insulted other candidates and have been accused of rudeness. Should politicians be polite?
- The American president is one of the few world leaders with the power to use nuclear weapons. What kind of person should be allowed that kind of power?