Which qualities are important in a good husband or wife? Choose three and explain why: kindness, honesty, loyalty, good looks, health, ambition, a sense of humor, romance, something else?
ESL Conversation Questions
- Do you know many happily married couples? How do they stay happy?
- How important is marriage in your culture? Can people easily choose not to marry? Where does social pressure to marry come from?
- At what age do people usually get married in your country? What do you think is a good age to marry?
- Is it a good idea to date a few different people before getting married? How important is it to gain experience?
- What’s the best way to find a potential wife or husband?
- Do you believe in soul mates? Are you looking for the one?
- What are the pros and cons of international marriage? Would you marry someone from another country?
- Is it a good idea to live together before getting married? What are the downsides of doing so?
- Are weddings in your country fun events? What do people usually do at weddings?
- What kinds of wedding gifts do people give in your culture?
- How long should a couple know each other before getting married? How soon is too soon?
- How important is it to get along with your in-laws?
- How common is divorce in your country? Are divorced people looked down upon?
- In many countries, the divorce rate has increased over the past few decades. Why do you think this is?
- Is it normal or healthy for married couples to argue? How much fighting is too much?
- How do you feel about arranged marriages? Could you let your parents pick your partner?
- Same-sex marriage has become possible in some countries. How do you feel about this issue?
- There is an expression in English: “behind every great man, there’s a great woman”. What does this mean to you? Do you agree?
- Do you think husbands and wives have different responsibilities according to their gender? Give some examples if you think so.
- Do you know any househusbands? If you are a man, would you like to be a househusband?