What occasion is the most festive in your culture? When do people party hardest?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Was 2016 a good year? What good or bad events happened in the world in 2016?
- How well did 2016 go for you personally? What are some of the highlights and lowlights of the past year?
- Did you achieve any goals in 2016? Did you keep resolutions that you made at the beginning of the year?
- When does the new year start for you? From January 1st, or from another day?
- How do people in your culture celebrate the New Year? Is it usually a family celebration or more of a party with friends?
- What screens on television on New Year’s Eve? On New Year’s Day? Do you enjoy watching TV at this time?
- In your culture, do people give cards or gifts at the New Year? To whom do you send cards or give gifts?
- Do you associate any special foods with the end of the year? What are they?
- What are your plans for New Year’s Eve? Who will you spend the time with?
- At the end of the year, are there public holidays in your country? How much time do people usually get off from work?
- What are your plans for 2017?
- Will you make any New Year’s resolutions for 2017? What do you intend on doing differently in the next year?
- How do you make your New Year’s resolutions? Do you write them down? Do you tell another person so that they help to hold you accountable?
- At the beginning of 2017, what is the biggest challenge facing humanity? Do you think 2017 will bring us closer to solving this problem?
- Do you have a good feeling about 2017? Or are you more pessimistic?
- Which year has been the best of your life so far? What made it so good?
- The year 2017 coincides with the Year of the Rooster in the Chinese Zodiac. Is this meaningful to you?
- Can you make any predictions about 2017? What significant events will happen? What products or companies will be successful? What trends or fashions will be popular?