Art and Design Conversation Questions
Art comes in many forms, including painting, sculpture, film, music, literature, theater, and architecture. Do you have a favorite type of art? Why do you prefer that one?
- Do you have a favorite artist? What kind of art do or did they make?
- Who is the most famous artist in the world? Why are they well known?
- What’s your view on street art? Does it make the environment better or worse?
- Some artists question or challenge society through their work. Is this an important function of art, in your opinion?
- Do you have a favorite painting? What do you like about it?
- Have you tried painting? If so, have you kept anything that you painted? If not, would you like to try it?
- Many people have pictures or paintings hanging on the walls of their home. Do you? Do you like what is hanging on your wall? Why or why not?
- What themes have fascinated artists most through time? Why are artists obsessed with those things?
- Some pieces of art sell for millions of dollars. Why are some people willing to pay so much for a piece of art?
- Do you go to art galleries or exhibitions? Talk about one that you have been to. If you don’t, why don’t you?
- Have you ever seen a piece of art that affected you strongly? What was it?
- Without art, what would the world be like?
- The path of an artist seems to be outside the mainstream. Does a person need to be a bit unusual to be an artist?
- Are plays, musicals, or ballets popular in your country? How often do you go to watch one of these types of performances?
- What’s the difference between art and design?
- When you buy a product, do you think about its design? Which products are designed well?
- Are you interested in architecture? Which buildings in your city were well designed?
- Are fashion designers artists? Are they making clothes to be worn or to be admired?
- Children are often given the opportunity to make art. Why?
- Some artists struggle to earn a living from their art. What makes them continue?