Have you met anyone for the first time recently? How did you meet?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- How often do you meet new people? How do you usually meet them?
- When you meet someone for the first time, how do you feel?
- How long does it take you to feel comfortable with a new person?
- What is the first thing you usually do or say when you meet a person for the first time?
- Do you know any good ice-breaker questions?
- Which topics do you avoid when you talk with someone for the first time? Which topics are safe?
- What does ‘first impressions matter‘, mean? Do you agree?
- Do you think you make a good first impression?
- Have you ever met a boyfriend or girlfriend’s parents? What kind of impression did you make?
- When you meet someone and hear their name, do you remember it easily? Do you have any tricks to remember names well?
- Have you ever introduced yourself to a stranger in public? Why? What did you say?
- Is it more comfortable for you to meet men or women? Why?
- Have you ever met somebody and immediately hit it off? What made you get along so quickly?
- Have you ever been to a party where people were mingling? How good are you at circulating?
- Do you remember faces? If you have met a person, do you easily recognize them later?
- If you are walking down a street and see someone you think you know, do you always stop and say hello? Why or why not?
- How do people meet people to date these days?
- Some couples have romantic or funny stories about how they first met. Have you heard any good ones you would like to share?
How long have you lived in your neighborhood? How well do you know the area?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Do you like your neighborhood? What do you like about it?
- Have you met any of your neighbors? How did you meet?
- When someone moves into a neighborhood, should they introduce themselves to their new neighbors? Why?
- Do you ever help your neighbors? Do they ever help you? How?
- Was there a greater sense of community between neighbors in the past? If so, what has changed?
- Have you ever had a problematic neighbor? How were they annoying?
- If you listen outside at night, what sounds will you hear around your home?
- Does your neighborhood have all the facilities you need? What would you like to add?
- Are there any regular sporting or cultural events in your neighborhood? Talk about them.
- How is the transportation system where you live? Is it reliable? Affordable?
- Are there many children in the area you live? Where do they play?
- Are there many elderly people living in your area? When do you see them?
- How are house prices changing in your area? Are they rising? Are they falling? Why?
- Do you want to move to a different neighborhood? Where would you like to live?
- Which is the most expensive area to live in your city? Who lives there?
- Are there any neighborhoods in your city that are considered dangerous? Would you go to those places?
- Some people say moving house is one of the most stressful experiences a person can have. Do you agree?
- Are there any areas in your city where specific ethnic groups seem to live? Do you visit those areas? What are they like?
What makes you laugh?
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Who is the funniest person you know? What makes them funny?
- Are you good at telling jokes? If not, why not?
- When you look for a boyfriend or girlfriend, are you attracted to men or women who can make you laugh?
- Are men funnier than women? Or vice versa?
- Do you laugh when other people suffer misfortune? Is it funny when someone falls over? When is it okay to laugh at another person, and when is it wrong?
- Laughter is the best medicine. What do you think about this idea?
- How do you feel about clowns? Scary or funny?
- Is stand-up comedy popular in your culture? Who is your favorite stand-up comedian?
- Is being funny a natural ability or can a person learn to be funny? How could a person become funnier?
- What is your favorite comedy movie? Can you recall a funny scene from the film?
- Who is the funniest actor or actress in the world? Would you see a movie just because that person is in it?
- Do you follow any comic strips or humorous comic books? Explain what they are about and why you like them.
- Do you enjoy dark humor? Why do you think people sometimes want to joke about topics like death?
- Do you do silly things to amuse your friends? Give an example.
- Have you played a practical joke on another person? What did you do to whom?
- Does parody have a place in your culture? Who or what is usually the target of parody?
- How do you feel about toilet humor? Are farts funny?
- How do you react if someone tells a bad joke? Do you laugh to be polite?
Explain why you think each of the following personality traits is either positive or negative:
ESL Conversation Questions:
- Who are you?
- What is your best personality trait?
- What is your biggest fault? Are you trying to overcome it?
- Do people fall in love with good looks or with a great personality?
- Do you have a positive or negative attitude?
- Is it possible for a person to be too positive or too happy?
- What personality traits does a leader need?
- How does one person’s character affect the personalities of surrounding people? Are you influenced by people you know? Give an example.
- Do you try to be a friendly person? Why or why not?
- How are male and female personalities different?
- Do all people have a combination of good and bad characteristics? Or are some people all good or all bad? How about Mother Teresa? How about Adolf Hitler?
- What does ‘nice guys finish last‘ mean? Do you agree?
- Is your character similar to your mother or father’s character? In what ways are you like them and in what ways are you different?
- How does birth order affect personality? What qualities does a first-born child have? What about the last-born child in a big family? How about an only child?
- Do countries have personalities? What is the dominant personality of some countries you know? How about Canada? How about Italy?
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert? Or somewhere in the middle?
- What is charisma? Do you know any charismatic people?
- Can people change their personality if they want to? Do you know anybody who has changed theirs?
- What is your blood type? Do you think personality is related to blood type?
- What is your star sign? What does it say about you?
Which qualities are important in a good husband or wife? Choose three and explain why: kindness, honesty, loyalty, good looks, health, ambition, a sense of humor, romance, something else?
ESL Conversation Questions
- Do you know many happily married couples? How do they stay happy?
- How important is marriage in your culture? Can people easily choose not to marry? Where does social pressure to marry come from?
- At what age do people usually get married in your country? What do you think is a good age to marry?
- Is it a good idea to date a few different people before getting married? How important is it to gain experience?
- What’s the best way to find a potential wife or husband?
- Do you believe in soul mates? Are you looking for the one?
- What are the pros and cons of international marriage? Would you marry someone from another country?
- Is it a good idea to live together before getting married? What are the downsides of doing so?
- Are weddings in your country fun events? What do people usually do at weddings?
- What kinds of wedding gifts do people give in your culture?
- How long should a couple know each other before getting married? How soon is too soon?
- How important is it to get along with your in-laws?
- How common is divorce in your country? Are divorced people looked down upon?
- In many countries, the divorce rate has increased over the past few decades. Why do you think this is?
- Is it normal or healthy for married couples to argue? How much fighting is too much?
- How do you feel about arranged marriages? Could you let your parents pick your partner?
- Same-sex marriage has become possible in some countries. How do you feel about this issue?
- There is an expression in English: “behind every great man, there’s a great woman”. What does this mean to you? Do you agree?
- Do you think husbands and wives have different responsibilities according to their gender? Give some examples if you think so.
- Do you know any househusbands? If you are a man, would you like to be a househusband?